We are putting in a freestanding bathtub in our bathroom, and are having the tile run up the wall up to 42″. Unfortunately the bottom of the countertop electrical outlet was sitting there at about 40″. When I pointed this out to the tile guy, he suggested that I try to move it, either up or down (but preferably up).
Unfortunately, I’d already done all my drywall repairs on the sink side of the shower (as I’d removed the ugly medicine cabinet), so I really wasn’t looking forward to this task. It would have been so easy when I had the wall all open!
I vaguely remembered that there was slack in the electrical lines, and that I’d tidied up that wire with an electrical staple when I rebuilt the shower stall, so I thought I’d be able to move it up. I opened things up, being very careful in my removal of the box to not nick any wires, and found out that there was enough slack available that I could move the box up:
A bit of strapping and I had rough drywall back in place, and a first coat of mud on:
The almost finished (I need a final skim coat to smooth out some rough bits before sanding and priming) product looks pretty good: